Friday, November 25, 2011

Not So Silent, Not So Deadly

We were all pretty excited when my sister had her first little boy, Grayer. He was so much fun and a constant joy. A year and a half after his arrival, his little brother, Cole, was brought into this world and into our lives. The fun and joy that came with Grayer was now doubled, and seeing those two interact while they grow up has been quite the treat.

This past summer, my mother and I were taking 3-year-old Grayer and 18-month-old Cole across town. A light afternoon rain was coming down, and I was in the driver's seat of my parent's SUV. A few minutes into our journey, Grayer pipes up from the backseat, "Someone tooted back here."

"Was it you, Gray?" It seemed like a logical question to ask.

"Nooooo. It was Coley!" Grayer didn't seem to mind placing the blame on his younger brother.

My mom turned around to look at Cole. "Coley! Did you toot?" The little dude nodded his head that he had. This baby's honesty and no shame was refreshing, but I feared the impending odor from him would not be.

"Coley tooted again!" Grayer loudly proclaimed a few minutes after his initial accusation.

"Coley!" My mom and I were both shocked at the mini-farting machine that was sitting so innocently in the back seat. Every couple of minutes, Grayer was making a similar announcement about his little brother's gas. After the fourth or fifth 'toot' accusation, I turned to my mom, "I'm not hearing anything." I wasn't smelling anything either, but I wasn't going to complain about that.

"Did you hear that?" She seemed thrilled that the little one responded to my doubt with another 'toot'. I was thrilled as well because I had finally heard one of the 'toots'.

"Mom, that was the windshield wiper scraping against the back glass." This afternoon rain we were driving through was at that annoying amount where you needed the wipers, but at the lowest frequency the wipers would sometimes have to drag themselves across mostly dry glass which resulted in a shuddering 'toot-like' noise. My mom and I had a chuckle now that the mystery was solved, and poor Coley, we were about to let him be known as Backseat Tooter. We may not be believing Grayer the next time he so quickly places the blame on his brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment