Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Growing Up on the Finish Line

My dad helping me get ready for one of my first races.
I cannot accurately remember my childhood without thinking about the countless races I attended with my family. My dad began running before I was born, and I joined my mom and sister as one of the little cheerleaders at his races from infancy. Weekends were rarely just about toys and cartoons; they were about waking up early and driving to a nearby town for their annual 5k, 10k or marathon race. My sister and I would wait patiently (and sometimes impatiently!) for the runners to make their way through the course, and then we would take our place at the finish line to wait for that familiar face to cross the line. Watching all the reports coming out of Boston in the past day, it's been hard not to think about my own time lingering around a finish line waiting, watching with nothing to fear. 

Finish lines mean different things to different people. There is the sense of accomplishment and the pride that comes with it. There is relief for those who regret signing up for such a strenuous activity. There is joy that comes with being reunited with those that helped you make it to this point. There should never be terror, fear or sadness. Yesterday, tragedy struck the final stretch of the famous Boston Marathon. On a day and moment that should be marked with celebration, someone chose to overshadow that with evil. Once again, this country mourns the loss of human life at the hands of a coward. I struggle to understand this world that I live in where a non-threatening event like a marathon is now a place to be feared.

With any tragedy whether natural or man-made, the outpouring of love, support and help is overwhelming. When faced with the unthinkable evil of a terrorist attack, people don't resort to more evil, instead they exhibit every form of love and compassion. Sadly, hate and the heinous acts it brings about will forever be a part of this world, but my hope is that we as Americans and humans will always have the same benevolent reaction to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment